Professional Development Scholarships of up to $500 are available on a bi-annual basis to emerging leaders in the Food Systems Leadership Network. Requests by emerging leaders of color will be prioritized for support. Scholarships can be up to $500 and may support the costs of registration, travel, lodging, and per diem associated with conferences, trainings, workshops and/or other professional development opportunities. Scholarships will be processed as reimbursements after the activity has taken place, unless the activity/registration can be booked directly by the Wallace Center.
Examples of eligible programs include but are not limited to:
- Food systems conferences
- Participation in a regional convening or national network meeting
- Racial justice trainings
- Training programs on nonprofit management and leadership
- Workshops on effective facilitation
Scholarships cannot be used for vocational training, formal degree programs, or attending Wallace Center events or conferences. Recipients are only eligible for one scholarship per calendar year.
- Applicants must be sponsored by a nonprofit organization (either as a staff member, board member, or volunteer)
- Applicants and their sponsoring organizations must both be verified members of the Food Systems Leadership Network
- Required documents:
- Completed Simple Budget outlining the costs associated with participation at an event. You can download the Simple Budget Template here.
- Completed Organizational Capacity Assessment document. You can download the OCAM here.
Priority will be given to emerging leaders of color and preference will be given to those applications received at least 45 days prior to a conference or event date.
It is recommended, but not required, that sponsoring organizations provide matching funds of at least 33% of the total program cost. Organizations demonstrating match will be awarded up to 2 bonus points (out of a total 20 points) on the scoring rubric.
To apply for the Professional Development Scholarships, you will be required to complete the scholarship application where you will be asked to upload the completed budget template and organizational capacity assessment.
If selected, an Evaluation Report will be due two weeks after completion of the activity. All reports must be submitted by the final date of each grant period. A link to the evaluation report will be sent to all awardees.
Please note that recipients are only eligible to receive one scholarship per calendar year.
2018 Professional Development Scholarship Application Schedule
- Round 1:
- Application opens January 24
- Application closes at 11:59 PM Central Time on March 1
- Notifications by March 15
- Approved activities between April 1 – July 31
- Round 2:
- Application opens June 1
- Application closes at 11:59 PM Central Time on July 1
- Notifications by July 15
- Approved activities between August 1 – December 31
Questions? Email email@example.com with 'Scholarships' in the subject line.