As non-profit leaders, building up our personal knowledge and skills is critical to not only our individual professional development, but also to the health of the organizations we’re part of, the communities we serve, and the movement our work supports. But too often, professional development opportunities in our sector can come with a hefty price tag, an unrealistic time commitment, or are taught by someone unfamiliar with the nuances of our food systems work.
Recognizing the widespread need to increase access to professional development and organizational capacity building opportunities for food systems leaders on a budget, the FSLN developed the Non-Profit Boot Camp (NPBC), an eLearning series of courses taught by experienced food systems practitioners and consultants. Through offering a variety of relevant content in an accessible and cost-free manner, the Non-Profit Boot Camp aims to support and strengthen the capacity and effectiveness of non-profit, community-based organizations working on food systems change in communities across America.
Each course consists of three components:
- 30-minute webinars: trainers deliver models and tools that will stretch your mind, refine your skills, and offer you new ways to advance your work
- 30-minutes of Group Office Hours: immediately following the webinar, join the NPBC coach to dig deeper into the content, explore the topics and tools introduced, ask questions, and connect with other participants
- One-on-One Coaching: after attending all 3 lessons in a course, you become eligible for 1:1 coaching with the trainer to help apply the content directly to your work
Non-Profit Boot Camp courses focus on non-profit leadership, management, and operations, with topics ranging from strategic planning to organizational wellness and facilitation. All courses have been selected and designed based on the unique needs of this community and the feedback we get from all of you – thank you for your insights! To ensure that the content is relevant and specific to food systems work, NPBC trainers are food systems experts with 10+ years of practical experience in the non-profit world, so courses are relatable and tools tried and tested by folks working in this field.
The webinar portion of each course is recorded and archived under “Courses” so that members can access them at any time:
- Organizational Wellness and Resiliency with Christina Garza
- Becoming an Effective Facilitator with Veronica Flores
- Managing Successful Teams with Amy Baskes
- Is Communication Strategery for Real?! With Brad Cameron-Cooper and Lori Ducey
- Demystifying Strategic Planning with Tamara Jones
- Fundraising Fundamentals with Diana Abellera and Aimee Retzler
- Outcomes-Based HR with Peggy daSilva
- Legal and Financial Essentials for 501c3 Food Systems Organizations with Poppy Davis
Have a topic you’d like to see in the next round of NPBC or are interested in joining the cadre of NPBC trainers? Drop us a line!